The Everyman Theatre
It was originally built as Hope Chapel in 1834, becoming a concert hall in 1853 and then the city’s first picture house from 1912 until the early sixties. It re-opened as the Everyman Theatre in 1964. A brand new building – using 22,000 of the original chapel bricks to line the auditorium – opened in 2014. Sister to the Playhouse Theatre, the city’s theatrical Grand Dame, the Everyman is our National Treasure. In 2014, following a complete rebuild, it won the RIBA Stirling Prize for Best New Building of the Year.