The Philharmonic Dining Rooms
They were built as a gentlemen’s club by Robert Cain & Son, the brewers, and opened in 1898. The faculty of design at Liverpool University College was commissioned to decorate and design the interior. Frances Macdonald and Herbert McNair – ex creative partners of Charles Rennie Mackintosh – used it as a project for their students, hence the art nouveau finish, the high fashion of the day. It is Grade II*.